Ayutthaya, the old capital of the Kingdom of Siam
We stayed in Ayuttahaya for a few days on our way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. We scooted around the city for one day, exploring the numerous temples and discovered the surrounding towns the next (visiting the knife village and eating some great local treats!).
Ayutthaya travel summary
- Transport: We came in (from Bangkok) and left (to Chiang Mai) by train. We explored the city and its surroundings by scooter (which we rented at our hostel).
- Stay: We had a great stay at Grandparent’s Home. It’s close to some temples and there’s great food available around the corner. The rooms are clean and spacious, you can rent a motorbike and the staff is very nice!
- Do: Explore the temple area and drive around to the knife village.
- Snack: Try the Roti Sai Mai at U-Thong Road and Si Sanphet Road junction (Opposite Phra Nakorn Si Ayutthaya Hospital). Roti Sai Mai is a Thai-style candy floss wrapped in a roti – a very popular local dessert. (see picture above)
- Dinner: Malakor Café and Restaurant was around the corner of our hotel and served us good food every evening.