Malaysia wrap-up: route, transport, visa & budget
Malaysia was visa free for 90 days.
We spent 20 days in Malaysia, split over 3 different visits. There wasn’t really any logic behind our route (hopping in and out the country). These were our stops:
- Spending a week over Christmas in Langkawi
- Passing through in Kuala Lumpur
- Eating delicious food in Penang
- Avoiding tourists in Melaka
- Climbing mountains and visiting tea estates in the Cameron Highlands
The estimate: $39/day/person (€ 35.45)
The outcome: $25.9/day/person (€ 23.93)
without any flights in/out of the country (but including other means of transportations like public transport and taxi) Our primary expenses were:
- Stay: 41.9%, not suprisingly our biggest expense, as usual. ($11.13 / € 10.02 a day)
- Food (breakfast, lunch & dinner): 34.7% ($9.24/ € 8.32a day).
- Public transport: 5.4% ($1.43 / € 1.29 a day)
* € is accurate, $ depends on the exchange rate.
Time of year
We went on various moments:
- Melaka & Kuala Lumpur in May: hot days but enjoyable nights
- Penang, the Cameron Highlands & Kuala Lumpur in August: hot & moist!
- Langkawi in December: nice and warm weather but cloudy with frequent rain showers